Sunday, May 11, 2008

And They're Off ...


I made my first trip to a horse track when I was a freshman in college while traveling to a Georgia football game in Lexington. It was the final weekend of racing at Keeneland and the late autumn day with temperatures in the mid 60s and an array of colors on display in the wooded backdrop made for a spectacular setting.


Being the poor college student that I was with a solid Baptist background, there was no way I was going to be broke and destitute after a day of gambling on horse racing ... so I only bet $5 ... once. I chose a horse named "Can't Lose." Since I've always been a sucker for trite phrases, I thought, "Why not?"

"Can't Lose" placed (finished second) and I won $25 bucks. My dad's major area of concern with my new gambling habit was if I was going to tithe on my winnings. Of course, I answered in the affirmative (and later followed through on my intentions).

So, when we moved to Idaho and I discovered there was a race track five blocks from my office, I couldn't wait to take Faith and experience this fun sport up close. There would be no gambling, but there sure would be a gorgeous backdrop for watching streamlined thoroughbreds race at blazing speeds around a track. When I first took her a week ago, we treated it like the Kentucky Derby for Faith, getting her all dolled up. What I didn't realize is the drastic approach to the sport people in Idaho take versus the high society Kentuckians.

For most of the people at the track, it was just a step above a tractor pull. Attire consisting of cut off t-shirts, leather pants, and cigarettes in rolled up sleeves indicated to me that gambling was the main purpose of the track. I couldn't even find mint juleps! There was one woman with a funky hat on who came stumbling by us near the paddock. I remarked that she must have been the winner in the track's "Kentucky Derby Hat Contest." She assured me she was indeed the contest winner, more than likely, I assumed, because the only other hats I saw were do-rags.

One of the highlights for me was watching Faith pick up on the track customs, such as screaming your head off for a horse you have absolutely no emotional tie to except for the $10 bucks you just wagered on it. With programs rolled up and tightly clasped in clenched fists, people yell, "Go! Go! Go!" for their horse, shaking their programs in the air. After one race, Faith had this down and was joining the chorus of "Go! Go!" chanters as the horses streaked past us at the finish line. However, Faith has now incorporated that language into her everyday vocabulary, using it whenever she wants to go somewhere fast and would appreciate her parents joining her. It makes me giggle every time she does it, especially when she pumps her fist just like the fans at the track.

We went again as a family this weekend and here are some of the pictures to document our outing.


The No. 5 horse, "Checkher," in the paddock. After finishing next to last, maybe they should rename her "Slowher." Janel's horse, "Streakin' Cherry Cola", showed (finished third), while my horse, "JC a Special Spirit," finished sixth.


Faith patiently awaits the horses to be loaded into the starting gate.


... and still waiting.


Finally loaded ...


... and they're off! These quarter horses look kind of scrawny, but they can still move fast.


Faith passes the time in between races with a little thumb-sucking action ...


and posing for a photo op with Janel ... and her little sister to be.


Janel and Faith got ready for the final race (of our short trip to the track). Janel went with Snazzy Special Lead, while I chose Iona Corona. Janel outguessed me again, as her horse placed, while mine showed. Janel picked her second favorite horse for Faith, which was Bectello, who came in out of the money at sixth.


This isn't exactly the photo finish it appears to be ... it's actually those loser horses legging it out for next to last. But it shows the speed at which these beautiful animals can move.

As excited as Faith gets when we go to the track, who knows? Maybe she'll be a little horse jockey one day.

1 comment:

barrel racing princes said...

Hello
My name is Samantha Bush. I am just commenting on your blog because I bought the horse Bectello in one of your pictures. I was just wondering if I could get a copy of the picture. I would like to have a picture of him during his racing career.