Thursday, January 31, 2008

Like a Kid in a Candy Store ...




Now I've heard that phrase before and generally understood what it meant--but, friends, there's a big difference between hearing a concept and seeing it in action. Part of my inability to grasp the full context of this punchy phrase is that candy stores are about as common as gas prices lower than $2.50 a gallon. However, we found one at Bown Crossing, this throwback neighborhood community reminiscent of Beaver Cleaver's old stomping grounds.

As soon as we walked into this place, I was overcome with a Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory tune (the ORIGINAL movie, not the recent remade creepfest with Johnny Depp). It made me want to buy a Willy Wonka chocolate bar and see if I won the final golden ticket. But before I could indulge in such delicious childhood fantasies, little Faith was off and running.

Now, I still have no idea what Faith is going to be when she grows up, but if she wound up as an accountant or some other job where re-organization is a necessity, I would not be surprised. She constantly moves toys from one place to another ... and then back again. For those of you who know me (Jason), you know she didn't inherit such qualities from me, the master at utilizing every last inch of cubic space in my closet by cramming it inside and quickly securing the door.

So by the time I caught up with Faith, she was reorganizing the candy buckets. I can only imagine what was going on in her brain: Sugar Daddies? In the Smarties basket? What two-year-old thinks this sick joke is funny? Everyone knows the Sugar Daddies go in this bucket and the Smarties go in this one!

What made the situation even more comical was that I was trying to control Faith, more like contain her ("You can't stop him; you can only hope to contain him!" ... classic Dan Patrick), while Janel swilled small scoops of ice cream in her mouth trying to decide which gelato flavor would suit her pregnant fancy.

Meanwhile, Janel's college friend Sharon, who was in town visiting us, just laughed at the situation. After all, what could you do? It was a kid in a candy store. Who could contain themselves? I couldn't, getting suckered to the tune of nine bucks and some change. But this Sugar Daddy I'm eating is worth it--I may think otherwise when I'm flossing later, but for now it's a perfect memory. Hope you enjoy the video!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Go Faith Go -- keep leaning those tricks now so that your mommy and daddy don't blame Ethan and Ella teaching you all those bad tricks when we get to florida.